News and Views Local 2330
About Local 2330
The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers was certified as the bargaining agent for all employees of BORG-WARNER CANADA LIMITED on January 31, 1968.
I A M A W Local Lodge 2330s first Collective Agreement was on May 5, 1968. The charter was issued on August 1, 1968 and witnessed on September 11, 1968 with 50 members signing on, some of whom are still employed today.
The Company was established by J. B. Long in 1903 and acquired by the BORG-WARNER Company in 1929.
The first Cambridge plant was established on Bishop Street in the former town of Preston in 1962 and was called CELLO PRODUCTS (PRESTON) DIVISION BORG-WARNER (CANADA) LIMITED.
The Company name was changed in 1969 to LONG MANUFACTURING DIVISION BORG-WARNER (CANADA) LIMITED and most of the facility was moved to the present location in the former city of Galt in July of 1973. The present location was built in 1959 and manufactured shoes, and as it is on the corner of Savage Drive was appropriately named Savage Shoes.
The Preston plant stayed in operation for a few more years, finally closing in 1979 with all members being accommodated at our present location.
Despite the amalgamation of Galt, Preston and Hespeler to form the city of Cambridge on January 1, 1973, area residents, born and bred locals, and immigrants alike, cling fiercely to our cultural heritage plus a sense of belonging and pride in our separate and combined communities, and continue to use the names Galt, Preston, and Hespeler.
Borg-Warner eventually sold the business to private owners in 1983 who in turn sold it to Echlin Inc., in 1996. Echlin was acquired by the Dana Corporation in 1998.
Effective January 1, 2003 the name of the plant was changed yet again, and we now have 148 members at what is now called the DANA CANADA CORPORATION-THERMAL PRODUCTS facility at 401 Franklin Boulevard Cambridge. We imagine we will remain 'Longs' in all our minds for some time to come.
At DANA CANADA CORPORATION, a world wide supplier, our members manufacture concentric brass heat exchangers, commonly referred to as oil coolers. The 'coolers' fit in the radiator of all vehicles, cooling the oil as it winds its way through the motor of the vehicle. We build approximately 4.5 million per year.
We are also in the process of building a new line of aluminum concentric heat exchangers as we are always faced with the possibility of a decline in brass products. There is much activity in our facility, as we continue to look for new business and products on the horizon.
We also manufacture radiators for all terrain vehicles, with an annual volume of about 125.000 per year. While the volume is much lower than the brass oil coolers, there is room for growth.
We look forward to a healthy economic future for our members.